Elementary (K-8) Postbaccalaureate Certificate and Licensure
Complete the following admission requirements:
Admissions deadline is Feb 15. It is strongly recommended that applicants contact the School of Education several months prior to the deadline as it will allow sufficient time to complete prerequisites if necessary. Applications will be reviewed as submitted. Applicants may submit after the deadline with department faculty approval.
Admission includes meeting both UAF graduate admission requirements and the School of Education admission requirements.
Graduate School Requirements
Submit the following to the UAF Office of Admissions with a copy to the School of Education:
- UAF graduate application and fee.
- Official transcript of bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and official transcripts from all institutions attended. A GPA of at least 3.0 (B grade) in an undergraduate degree is required but students with less than a 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission in special circumstances.
- Three letters of reference that address qualifications and potential as a teacher.
- A vitae/resume.
- Four- to five-page essay indicating: reasons for wanting to become a teacher, assessment of academic and personal strengths relative to teaching, future plans and reasons for selecting the elementary postbaccalaureate program.
School of Education Requirements
Submit the following information directly to the School of Education, using School of Education forms:
- Alaska passing scores from the Praxis I or Praxis Core ASE exam in reading, writing and mathematics and Praxis II Elementary Content exam (test 5018). In extenuating circumstances, applicants may be allowed to begin the internship year without yet having an Alaska qualifying Praxis II score. Students cannot complete program requirements without receiving an Alaska qualifying Praxis II score.
- Completed academic analysis form to provide information on breadth and depth of prior course work relative to 10 Alaska Student Content Standard areas. If additional coursework is required, it must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- A writing sample, autobiography, evidence of successful paid or volunteer teaching/learning experience, evidence of successful cross-cultural experience.
- Evidence of technology competence through successful completion of ED F237A, ED F237B, ED F237C and ED F237D or by successfully challenging each of the four components of the two-credit course.
- Completed Alaska Department of Education and Early Development authorization packet (fingerprint cards and criminal background check necessary to work in schools). Packet is available from the School of Education.
- Some school districts may require interns to submit a physical examination form.
Minimum Requirements for Elementary (K-8) Postbaccalaureate Certificate and Licensure: 39 credits
Students must earn a C grade or better in each F600-level course. Students must earn a B grade or better in each F400-level course.
|Postbaccalaureate Certificate Requirements|
|Complete the postbaccalaureate certificate requirements.|
|Elementary (K-8) Program Requirements|
|Complete the following:|
|Summer Semester 1|
|ED F624||Foundations of Education in Alaska: From Segregation to Standards 2||3|
|ED F625||Exceptional Learners and Child Development: Individual and Cultural Characteristics||3|
|ED F626||Teaching Reading, Writing and Language Arts||3|
|ED F411||Reading, Writing, Language Arts: Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|ED F412/F602||Integrated Social Studies and Language Arts: Methods and Curriculum Development 3||3|
|ED F466||Internship and Collaborative Student Teaching||3|
|ED F467||Classroom Management Communication and Collaboration I||2|
|ED F478/F678||Mathematics Methods and Curriculum Development 3||3|
|ED F479/F688||Science Methods and Curriculum Development 3||3|
|ED F414/F605||Art, Music and Drama in Elementary Classrooms 3||3|
|ED F417/F617||Physical Activity and Health Education for Elementary Teachers 3||3|
|ED F468||Internship and Student Teaching||4|
|ED F469||Classroom Management Communication and Collaboration II||2|
|ED F476||Assessment of Literacy Development||1|
ED F624 meets the State of Alaska requirement for an approved multicultural/cross-cultural communication course.
Students intending to complete the M.Ed., Elementary Education are required to take these stacked courses at the F600 level.