School Counselor Certification Program
Complete the following admission requirements:
- Application to the school counselor certification program follows the same admission requirements and procedures as for the M.Ed. in counseling
- The application requires a master's degree in a human services area such as social work, psychology, or human services.
- Submit a national-level criminal background check prior to seeing clients during COUN F634P.
- Complete field placements appropriate to the student's declared area of interest.
- Complete a background check procedure required by the school field placement. The procedure varies depending on placement.
Minimum Requirements for School Counselor Graduate Certificate: 30 credits
|General University Requirements|
|Complete the general university requirements.|
|Graduate Certificate Requirements|
|Complete the graduate certificate requirements.|
|School Counselor Program Requirements|
|Complete the following program requirements for certification in one level (elementary or secondary):|
|COUN F615||Foundations of Counseling 1||3|
|COUN F617P||Counseling Skills 2||2|
|COUN F636||Internship I 3||3|
|COUN F646||Introduction to School Counseling||3|
|COUN F647||Professional Ethics 2||3|
|COUN F648||Advanced School Counseling||3|
|COUN F660||Multicultural Counseling||3|
|COUN F686||Internship II 3,4||3|
|Complete the following optional class for K-12 school counseling certification (elementary and secondary)||3|
|Internship III 3|
Transfer credit may be accepted from another CACREP-accredited program.
Transfer credit may be accepted if the student passes a role-play counseling session demonstration.
Additional fee required. Charges are added to fee statements each semester.
Fulfills the capstone requirement.