Elementary Education M.Ed.
Complete the following admission requirements:
Deadline is Feb. 15. It is recommended that students submit applications before Dec. 15 to provide time to complete prerequisites if necessary. Applications will be reviewed as submitted.
Admission includes meeting both UAF graduate admissions requirements and the School of Education admissions requirements.
Graduate School Requirements
Submit the following to the UAF Office of Admissions with a copy to the School of Education:
- UAF graduate application and fee.
- Official transcript of bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and official transcripts from all institutions attended. A GPA of at least 3.0 (B grade) in undergraduate degree is required but students with less than a 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission in special circumstances.
- Three letters of reference that address qualifications and potential as a teacher.
- A vitae/resume.
- Four- to five-page essay indicating: reasons for wanting to become a teacher, assessment of academic and personal strengths relative to teaching, future plans and reasons for selecting the elementary postbaccalaureate program.
School of Education Requirements
Submit the following information directly to the School of Education, using School of Education forms:
- Alaska passing scores from the Praxis I or Praxis Core ASE exam in reading, writing and mathematics and score from Praxis II Elementary Content exam (test 5014 or 5018).
- Completed academic analysis form to provide information on breadth and depth of prior course work relative to 10 Alaska Student Content Standard areas.
If additional coursework is required, it must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- A writing sample, autobiography, evidence of successful paid or volunteer teaching/learning experience, evidence of successful cross-cultural experience.
- Evidence of technology competence through successful completion of ED F237A, ED F237B, ED F237C and ED F237D or by successfully challenging each of the four components of the two-credit course.
- Completed Alaska Department of Education and Early Development authorization packet (fingerprint cards and criminal background check necessary to work in schools). Packet is available from the School of Education.
Minimum Requirements for Elementary Education M.Ed.: 45 credits
Students must earn a C grade or better in each F600-level course. Students must earn a B grade or better in each F400-level course.
|General University Requirements|
|Complete the graduate general university requirements.|
|Master’s Degree Requirements|
|Complete the master's degree requirements.|
|Elementary Education Program Requirements|
|Complete the admission requirements for the graduate-level elementary postbaccalaureate licensure program.|
|Complete the following requirements for the Elementary (K-8) Postbaccalaureate Certificate and Licensure Program:|
|ED F411||Reading, Writing, Language Arts: Methods and Curriculum Development 1||3|
|ED F466||Internship and Collaborative Student Teaching 1||3|
|ED F467||Classroom Management Communication and Collaboration I 1||2|
|ED F468||Internship and Student Teaching 1||4|
|ED F469||Classroom Management Communication and Collaboration II 1||2|
|ED F476||Assessment of Literacy Development 1||1|
|ED F602||Integrated Social Studies and Language Arts: Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|ED F605||Art, Music and Drama in Elementary Classrooms||3|
|ED F617||Physical Activity and Health Education for Elementary Teachers||3|
|ED F624||Foundations of Education in Alaska: From Segregation to Standards||3|
|ED F625||Exceptional Learners and Child Development: Individual and Cultural Characteristics||3|
|ED F626||Teaching Reading, Writing and Language Arts||3|
|ED F678||Mathematics Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|ED F688||Science Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|After completing the requirements for the Elementary (K-8) Postbaccalaureate Certificate and Licensure Program then complete the following:|
|ED F601||Introduction to Applied Social Science Research||3|
|or ED F630||Curriculum Development|
|ED F698||Non-thesis Research/Project||3|
Students must earn a grade of B or better in each F400-level course.