O.E.C., Medical Scribe
Community and Technical College
The medical scribe occupational endorsement will prepare students to perform data input related to patient health care records for licensed healthcare providers in a wide variety of medical settings (e.g., hospitals, emergency medicine, primary care, urgent care, among many others). Students will be equipped with skills that maximize the efficiency and productivity of clinical care, enabling real-time clinical documentation and workflow efficiencies for their employers. Students will learn skills to maintain comprehensive and accurate electronic health records. They will be prepared to take the necessary certification exam for the Medical Scribe Certification and Aptitude Test (MSCAT) to acquire the Certified Medical Scribe Specialist (CMSS), a certification recognized by the American College of Medical Scribe Specialists.
- High school graduation or GED; ALEKS placement into HLTH F116; Accuplacer placement into or completion of WRTG F110; or permission of instructor.
- Student must be in good physical condition and have documentation of the following immunizations: two varicella, two MMR, three Hepatitis B vaccines and a two-step PPD within previous 12 months or titers to prove immunity to above diseases.
Complete the following admission requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old by the first day of the semester in which you are admitted.
- Students should complete the UAF application process.
- Complete FAFSA for financial aid, if needed.
- To be ready for admittance, students should have appropriate keyboarding experience, or have taken ABUS F102A or ABUS F102B.
Minimum Requirements for Occupational Endorsement: 29 credits
To be ready for admittance, students should have appropriate keyboarding experience, or have taken ABUS F102A: Keyboarding Touch Typing, or ABUS F102B: Keyboarding Skill Building, for 1-3 credits, or have passed a keyboarding skills test prior to acceptance into the program.
|General University Requirements|
|Complete the general university requirements.|
|Occupational Endorsement Requirements|
|Complete the occupational endorsement requirements.|
|HLTH F100||Medical Terminology||3|
|HLTH F114||Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|HLTH F122||First Aid and CPR for the Healthcare Provider||0|
|HLTH F124||Introduction to Medical Scribe Specialist (Introduction to Medical Scribe - new course proposal in progress)||2|
|HLTH F126||Administrative Procedures for the Healthcare Worker (Administrative Procedures for the Healthcare Worker - new course proposal in progress)||3|
|HLTH F130||Medical Office Technology||3|
|Computer Business Applications 1|
|MA F247||Introduction to Pharmacology||2|
|HLTH F235||Medical Coding||4|
|HLTH F260||Medical Scribe Specialist Practicum (Medical Scribe Practicum - new Course proposal in progress)||2|
Students should complete 3 credits for CIOS F150.
Note: See your advisor if you are not sure which catalog year to use.