Complete the following admission requirements:
- Complete a master’s degree in a fisheries-related field or meet the requirements as outlined below to be accepted directly into a Ph.D. program without a master’s degree.
- Submit GRE scores.
Admission to Ph.D. Program Directly from Bachelor’s Program
Entering graduate students whose highest earned degree is the baccalaureate are normally admitted as Master of Science candidates. However, exceptionally able and accomplished students in this category are eligible for direct admission to the Ph.D. program. Criteria for direct admission to the Ph.D. program from the baccalaureate are:
- Endorsement by proposed chair of graduate advisory committee AND 2 or 3 below.
- At least one first-authored manuscript published or accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal or receipt of an NSF, NIH, or similar prestigious pre-doctoral fellowship. OR
- Demonstrated research proficiency (e.g. undergraduate thesis, Research Experiences for Undergraduates or other intensive research experience) documented in the application AND either
- attained a GPA of at least 3.5 at the undergraduate level, or
- scored at the 80% level in two of three categories in the GRE.
Students who elect this route must fulfill course requirements as outlined for both the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. Applicants who do not meet these criteria may enter the graduate program as M.S. candidates, and in exceptional cases may petition for conversion to the Ph.D. program after advancement to candidacy (for the M.S.). Such petitions must be approved both by the student’s current (M.S.) and proposed (Ph.D.) advisory committee and the department director or designee.
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 36 credits
|General University Requirements|
|Complete the general university requirements.|
|Ph.D. Degree Requirements|
|Complete the Ph.D. degree requirements. 1|
|Complete at least 18 credits of course work.|
|Complete a thesis.|
Including 18 thesis credits.
Note: At least 9 of the required 18 Ph.D. degree credits must be at the F600 level, other courses must be at least at the F400 level.