M.Ed., Elementary Education
Following completion of the yearlong UAF, postbaccalaureate elementary licensure program, students can pursue a M.Ed. degree in elementary education if they choose to do so. Fifteen specified graduate credits from the elementary licensure program can be used to meet the M.Ed. elementary education requirements. Courses are available through UAF by distance delivery and on the Fairbanks campus. Students can enroll in courses throughout the year. Licensure and the master’s degree requirements must be met within seven years of the beginning of the program.
Students who have completed undergraduate courses 110, 201, 330, 410 and EDSE F316 as part of their licensure program must complete additional graduate level course work to receive a master’s degree. Please contact the School of Education Student Services Office for additional information.
Admission and Application Information
It is recommended that students submit applications before Dec. 15 to provide time to complete prerequisites if necessary. Applications will be reviewed as submitted. Deadline is Feb. 15.
Admission includes meeting both UAF graduate admissions requirements and the School of Education admissions requirements.
GRADUATE SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS
Submit the following to the UAF Office of Admissions with a copy to the School of Education:
- UAF graduate application and fee.
- Official transcript of bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and official transcripts from all institutions attended. A GPA of at least 3.0 (B grade) in undergraduate degree is required but students with less than a 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission in special circumstances.
- Submit ACT, SAT or GRE scores.
- Three letters of reference that address qualifications and potential as a teacher.
- A vitae/resume.
- Four- to five-page essay indicating: reasons for wanting to become a teacher, assessment of academic and personal strengths relative to teaching, future plans and reasons for selecting the elementary postbaccalaureate program.
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Submit the following information directly to the School of Education, using School of Education forms:
- Alaska passing scores from the Praxis I or Praxis Core ASE exam in reading, writing and mathematics and score from Praxis II Elementary Content exam (test 5014 or 5018).
- Completed academic analysis form to provide information on breadth and depth of prior course work relative to 10 Alaska Student Content Standard areas.
If additional course work is required, it must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- A writing sample, autobiography, evidence of successful paid or volunteer teaching/learning experience, evidence of successful cross-cultural experience.
- Evidence of technology competence through successful completion of ED F237A, ED F237B, ED F237C and ED F237D or by successfully challenging each of the four components of the two-credit course.
- Completed Alaska Department of Education and Early Development authorization packet (fingerprint cards and criminal background check necessary to work in schools). Packet is available from the School of Education.
- Some school districts may require interns to submit a physical examination form.
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
|General University Requirements|
|Complete the general university requirements.|
|Master of Education Degree Requirements|
|Complete the master of education degree requirements.|
|Complete the admission requirements for the graduate-level elementary postbaccalaureate licensure program.|
|ED F601||Introduction to Applied Social Science Research||3|
|ED/CCS F603||Field Study Research Methods||3|
|or ED/CCS F604||Documenting Indigenous Knowledge|
|ED F624||Foundations of Education in Alaska: From Segregation to Standards||3|
|ED F625||Exceptional Learners and Child Development: Individual and Cultural Characteristics||3|
|ED F626||Teaching Reading, Writing and Language Arts||3|
|ED F678||Mathematics Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|ED F688||Science Methods and Curriculum Development||3|
|ED F698||Non-thesis Research/Project||6|
|or ED F699||Thesis|
|Complete one graduate-level elective course approved by candidate’s graduate committee||3|