Applying for Admission: Certificate or Associate Degree Programs

When to Apply

Applications for admission to certificate or associate degree programs are due no later than June 15 for fall semester, Nov. 1 for spring semester and May 1 for summer semester.

High school seniors are encouraged to apply for admission as early as the first semester of their senior year and should provide a high school transcript including a list of courses in progress. Transfer students should apply at least three to four months before the beginning of the semester in which they plan to enroll to allow for additional time for processing of transfer credit, and should submit transcripts for all colleges attended.

How to Apply

To be admitted to UAF, a student must:

  1. Submit an application for admission
    Apply online. Applications must be received before the published deadlines, along with a $40 nonrefundable application fee. Applications submitted after the published deadlines may not be processed by the beginning of the semester. 
  2. Submit transcripts
    Most applicants to certificate and associate degree programs are not required to submit high school, GED or college transcripts, but all are strongly encouraged to do so. Transfer students who want to receive credit for prior work must submit official transcripts.
  3. Submit official test results
    Certificate and associate degree applicants must submit the results of the ACT, SAT or ACCUPLACER test taken within the last two years for English and composition placement. Students will also need to submit ALEKS test scores taken within the last year for placement into math, or any course that requires a math prerequisite. Contact Testing Services at 907-474-5277 or your high school guidance office for information concerning the ACT, SAT or ACCUPLACER tests. Visit here to take the ALEKS test.

International Students

See Applying for Admission: International Students page for additional information.

Admission Requirements

For admission to associate/certificate programs, official documentation must be provided showing that the applicant:

  1. is at least 18 years old, or
  2. has a high school diploma, or
  3. has a General Educational Development (GED) diploma.

Applicants under the age of 18 who will not have a high school diploma or GED before the start of their first semester are not admissible but may take courses as a nondegree student. Please note that in order to qualify for federal financial aid, students must have either a high school diploma or a GED.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are eligible for admission if they left their previous accredited institution(s) in good standing. Admission status will be determined on an individual basis if a student attended an unaccredited/nonregionally accredited postsecondary institution.

High School Students

High school students may take classes at UAF. There are two enrollment options for students interested in certificate or associate degree programs: Secondary Student Enrollment and TECH PREP. Both have specific registration requirements but do not require admission to UAF.

Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students may be admitted to an associate or certificate program if the student is at least 18 years old, holds a GED, graduated from a state-sponsored correspondence program with a high school diploma, or with the approval of the director of admissions.

After Acceptance

Qualified applicants will receive a letter of acceptance once all items are received and evaluated. Acceptance to UAF is final only when the Office of Admissions has approved all necessary credentials.

For additional program-specific application requirements, please see program descriptions.

Request To Postpone

An offer of admission to UAF is valid for the semester for which the applicant applied. Requests to postpone admission until a later semester may be made to the Office of Admissions. Admission may be postponed for up to one calendar year.

Readmission of Former Degree Students

Undergraduate degree students who choose not to enroll for a semester or more may be eligible to re-enroll in their original degree program without reapplying for admission. Students remain eligible to register for classes if:

  • they have not been academically disqualified,
  • they have not attended a non-UA institution since they were last enrolled at UAF,
  • their lapse in enrollment is less than two years, and
  • they are continuing with the same degree program.

Students who meet all of the above requirements should consult with their academic advisor and register for classes. Students who do not meet all of these requirements should submit a new application for admission along with the $40 application fee and transcripts of any non-UA course work taken. Students who are unsure about their status should contact the Office of Admissions.

Fresh Start for Returning Students

Fresh Start can offer a new beginning for students who performed poorly at UAF and have taken at least a two-year break from classes. Students who withdrew from school or were dismissed for academic reasons may apply for readmission through the Fresh Start program and request that their entire prior academic record be disregarded. Students who qualify for Fresh Start will begin their college study anew, with no credits attempted or earned and no quality points reflected in future GPA calculations. Fresh Start can be used only once.

All prior course work will remain part of the student’s overall academic record and appear on transcripts, but none of the previously earned credits can be used in a new program. These credits will be included only in GPA computations for graduation with honors (see Graduation with Honors). A student admitted under Fresh Start may be allowed advanced standing or a waiver of requirements just as any other student, but will not be allowed credit by exam for courses lost in Fresh Start. Students interested in Fresh Start should contact the Office of Admissions.

Readmission of Service Members

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires that students who left school to serve in the uniformed services be readmitted into the same program with the same standing they had when they left. UAF allows for special readmission of these students. More information is available at Military and Veteran Services.

Where to Get More Information

Office of Admissions
University of Alaska Fairbanks
2nd floor, Signers’ Hall
P.O. Box 757480
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7480
Telephone: 907-474-7500
Toll free: 800-478-1823
Fax: 907-474-7097