The requirements for a secondary school teaching certificate include completion of both a major in an academic subject area appropriate to teaching in the secondary school and the professional education sequence. The degree is awarded as a B.A. with a double major. Upon declaration of a major in secondary education, students are assigned an advisor in the Education Department to plan the completion of the teaching major and the education sequence of courses.
The teaching major must be in an academic subject area approved for a State of Alaska secondary school teaching certificate and available as a B.A. degree: art, biology, English, French, German, history, mathematics, political science or Spanish.
Learn more about the bachelor’s degree in secondary education, including an overview of the program, career opportunities and more.
Submit your undergraduate application electronically to the UAF Office of Admissions. A professional student teaching internship application has to be turned in to the secondary program before student teaching (last year before graduation).
Professional Student Teaching Internship:
In the last year before graduation, student teaching internships begin in August or January on the date when teachers return to school (this varies across districts). Since internship placements are arranged with principals and mentor teachers in the spring, all materials necessary for determining admission to the internship should be submitted by March 1.
Faculty in the School of Education consider multiple criteria in making valid and reliable judgments about each applicant’s knowledge, skills, and professional characteristics prior to approval for the yearlong internship in a classroom with secondary children. A criminal background check is necessary to work in schools. Declaring a B.A. major in secondary education does not guarantee admission to the professional internship year.
Students must submit the following information before the student teaching internship year to the School of Education by March 1:
- Copies of transcripts from all institutions attended. Evidence of plan of completion of all B.A. degree in secondary education degree courses and completion of the majority of the content major requirements by Aug. 1 (except for those required in the professional internship year), with a minimum of a 2.75 overall GPA.
- Three current letters of reference that address qualifications and potential as a teacher.
- A personal statement of 500 words addressing motivation to enter the teaching profession, self-assessed qualifications to teach, and experiences which have prepared the candidate for teaching.
- Passing scores on an Alaska Department of Education and Early Development-approved basic competency exam (BCE)
- Passing scores on the Praxis II test for each content area the applicant expects to teach. The scores must meet the score set by the State of Alaska. World language applicants may need an oral proficiency test as required by EED.
Secondary faculty as part of the admission process will interview applicants.
Students must earn a C grade or better in each course.
Minimum Requirements for Secondary Education (7-12) Degree: 121 credits
|Code ||Title ||Credits |
|EDSC F110||Becoming a Middle/High School Teacher||1|
|EDSC F205||Introduction to Secondary Education||3|
|or EDSC F415|| Foundations of Modern Educational Practice|
|EDSC F407||Developing Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDSC F458||Classroom Organization and Management||3|
|Introduction to Special Education for Elementary Classroom Teachers|
|Curriculum, Management and Strategies II: High Incidence|
|Inclusive Classrooms for All Children|
|English/Language Arts Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|Mathematics Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|Science Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|Social Studies Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|Art Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|World Language Secondary Instruction and Assessment|
|EDSC F442||Technology Applications in Education I||1|
|EDSC F443||Technology Application in Education II||2|
|EDSC F457||Multicultural Education and School-community Relations||3|
|EDSC F471||Secondary Teaching: School Internship I and Seminar 2||3|
|EDSC F472||Secondary Teaching: School Internship II and Seminar 2||6-9|