Military and Veteran Services

This is an archived copy of the 2020-2021 catalog. Access the most current version of the catalog.

The University of Alaska Fairbanks is home to a strong and growing community of military and veteran students. As a military-friendly school, we are dedicated to providing academic opportunities and a supportive learning environment that serves the unique needs of active service members, veterans and their families. UAF offers in-state/resident tuition, credits for military training, flexible online degree programs, VA and TA educational benefits advising and other resources for veteran and military students. We are also ranked as one of America’s Best Military Friendly Online Colleges. 

The UAF Department of Military and Veteran Services is dedicated to providing comprehensive support to military, veterans and their dependents in an atmosphere of respect for their service to the nation. The DMVS endeavors to assist students utilizing VA educational benefits, Tuition Assistance, and MyCAA grants to meet their educational goals. The DMVS strives to build a community for past, present and future military-affiliated students.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees up to 36 months. This benefit is available for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, dependent children and spouses using benefits transferred by a qualifying veteran or servicemember and also Purple Heart recipients who were honorably discharged after September 11, 2001 with any amount of service.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) is another veterans education benefit to help with tuition and training costs. There are three programs available: Active Duty, Selected Reserve and Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP).

This VA education benefit for military veterans helps with vocational rehabilitation services (Chapter 31) for veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10% and higher.

If you’re the spouse or child of a veteran or active service member who has died, is captured or missing, or is permanently or totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability, you may be able to get help paying for college or professional training through the DEA program (Chapter 35) or Fry Scholarship.

Tuition assistance is available to many active duty, Reserve and National Guard members. The DMVS helps service members utilize their tuition assistance benefits.

For more information, contact the Department of Military and Veteran Services at 907-474-7400, or visit the DMVS website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.