M.F.A./M.A. Combined Degree, Creative Writing and Literature
- A student who wishes to be awarded an M.F.A./M.A. combined degree in creative writing and literature must be admitted to both programs;
- Fulfill all general university requirements and master’s degree requirements and all course requirements within both programs (double counting allowed);
- Pass comprehensive examinations in both programs;
- Complete a thesis required for an M.F.A. degree and
- a thesis required for an M.A. degree,
- OR a scholarly essay which from a critical and/or historical perspective supplements the M.F.A. thesis and which the advisory committee(s) must judge to be of publishable quality,
- OR a scholarly essay on a topic approved by the advisory committee(s) and likewise judged as publishable.
- Pass an oral examination of materials submitted from 4 above.
- Finish all requirements in order to be awarded the combined degree instead of the M.A. or M.F.A. separately (i.e., a student may not claim at any time more than one degree for the same work).