School Counselor Certification Program
Complete the following admission requirements:
- Application to the licensure only program follows the same admission requirements and procedures as for the M.Ed. in counseling
- People who currently hold a master's degree in education or one of several helping professions such as social work, psychology or human services (as approved by counseling faculty) may apply.
- Submit a disclosure statement upon admission to the program. Resubmit annually.
- Submit a national-level criminal background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation prior to seeing clients during COUN F634P
- Complete internship placements appropriate to the student's declared area of interest.
- Complete background check procedure required by the school or community internship placement. The procedure varies depending on placement.
- Pass the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Exam (CPCE).
Note: The FBI criminal background check process takes up to three months.
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 39-45 credits
|Certification in One Level (Elementary or Secondary)|
|Complete the following requirements for certification in one level (Elementary or Secondary):|
|COUN F615||Foundations of Counseling||3|
|COUN F623||Counseling Theories and Applications I||3|
|COUN F627||Developmental Interventions||3|
|COUN F628||Child and Adolescent Development||3|
|COUN F632||Career Development||3|
|COUN F630||Appraisal for Counselors||3|
|COUN F634||Practicum in Individual Counseling||3|
|COUN F636||Internship I 1||3|
|COUN F646||School Counseling||3|
|COUN F647||Professional Ethics||3|
|COUN F660||Cross-Cultural Counseling||3|
|COUN F674||Group Counseling||3|
|COUN F686||Internship II 1||3|
|Complete the following optional classes for K-12 school counseling certification (Elementary and Secondary)||0-6|
|Internship III 1|
|Internship IV 1|
Additional fee required. Charges are added to fee statements each semester.
Students must take 15 UAF credits. Up to 30 graduate transfer credits from a previous degree program may be applied, as approved by the School of Education counseling program.