Minimum Requirements for Degree: 134 credits
Civil engineers plan, design and supervise the construction of public and private structures such as space-launch facilities, offshore structures, bridges, buildings, tunnels, highways, transit systems, dams, airports, irrigation projects, and water treatment and distribution facilities.
Civil engineers use sophisticated technology and employ computer-aided engineering during design, construction, project scheduling and cost control project phases. They are creative problem solvers involved in community development and the challenges of pollution, deteriorating infrastructure, traffic congestion, energy needs, floods, earthquakes and urban planning.
The civil engineering program at UAF has been accredited since 1940 and is currently accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. All engineering programs in the department give special attention to problems of Northern regions.
The civil engineering program educational objectives are:
- Graduates will have a strong fundamental scientific and technical knowledge base as well as strong critical thinking skills.
- Graduates will apply their engineering skills to critically analyze and interpret data and be proficient in engineering design accommodating the total project environment.
- Graduates will be able to communicate with the technical, professional and broader communities in written, verbal and visual formats, including interacting in interdisciplinary contexts.
- Graduates will demonstrate high standards in ethical, legal and professional obligations to protect human health, welfare and the environment.
- Graduates will be active in the professional civil engineering community, actively contribute to the profession and pursue lifelong learning.
In addition to general civil engineering courses, the department offers specialties in transportation, geotechnical, structures, water resources, hydrology and environmental studies. These courses emphasize principles of analysis, planning and engineering design in northern regions.
For more information about the civil engineering program mission, goals and educational objectives, visit http://cem.uaf.edu/cee/abet/.